Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Experiences in the Grasslands

The other day I headed for Dexter Drumlin, eager to get in a bit of exercise before I lost my nerve and ran back to my room to hide away, watching movies online for hours while eating junk food. As I headed up the grassy path towards the top of the hill, sandals in my hand, I glanced over my shoulder repeatedly to make sure that no one else was set on the same walk. The sun was beating fierce, as summer was finally peeping around the corner, and my steps slowed as I trudged along. I looked around once more, starting to feel uneasy and wondering whether I should head back. Several cars had arrived and people with their dogs were preparing to enjoy the sunny day and I wasn't so sure I wanted to be around a bunch of noisy bouncy dogs. It was then that I looked down and saw a flash of movement as a small 8 to 12 inch black snake slithered off the path into the tall thick grasses that surrounded me. I shivered, then immediately stopped to slip my sandals back onto my feet, not relishing the thought of stepping on one of its cousins barefoot. After another ten steps or so, I decided it was time to turn around and did so, at a slightly faster pace, and headed for home.

Here's a clip of Dexter Drumlin (listen closely to the birds and other insects)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a thought or two. . .