Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Truly, I am Rich

As I filled up my Brita water filter and set it aside to filter water to bring to work tomorrow, I suddenly realized it. I am rich. I never imagined myself so, but I am really rich.

I can afford to filter my water so it tastes better. Millions of people have to walk miles to get water and may not have access to clean drinking water.

I have air conditioning on at night because it helps me sleep better and I don't like the heat. There are people who are lucky to have shelter from the scorching sun or freezing winter snow.

I can choose whether I want to eat tortillas with vegenaise and artichoke or a bowl of cereal with rice milk and fruit for supper. Thousands of children around the world go to bed without supper, and maybe they didn't even have anything to eat that day.

I have a cupboard filled with clothes for work, exercise, church and relaxation. There are people who have one shirt and one skirt or pair of trousers and a pair of flip flops and that is all they have to wear.

I have a car that is paid for and runs and doesn't need repairs and I have money to buy gas to put in it. There are people who take the bus or walk to their destinations, no matter the distance.

I have a job that will be going to half-time but I will still be able to pay my bills if I am careful. There are people who live on maxed-out credit cards or who have to stand with "Anything Will Help" signs on the side of the street.

I have family and friends who love me and who make me a part of their lives. There are people who are all alone in the world or who have lost those dearest to them to famine, flood, earthquake or war.

I know that God cares for me and loves me and that He is in control of the circumstances in my life. Thousands worry about how to survive in this world and don't have hope for the one to come.

I don't live in a fancy house, drive an expensive car, have the latest gadgets, or have a lot of money in the bank. I don't wear designer clothes, take vacations in Tahiti and Hawaii, own the iPhone4 or pay for cable TV. Yet I am richer than over 1,345 million people who exist on $1.25 a day or less. (http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm)

It's been a while since I've stopped to think about how blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a thought or two. . .