Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Soraya M.

I just finished watching "The Stoning of Soraya M" on Netflix. This film is rated R for a reason, it gets quite graphic at one point when the actual stoning takes place, so I would recommend you fast-forward it if you need to. The film is one that I will add to my shortlist of films that bring social awareness of real-life issues and atrocities that are facing minorities today.

"The Stoning of Soraya M" is based on a true story. While I will not go into much detail here, I will say that the main plot involves a woman who is accused falsely of adultery because her husband wants to marry a young girl. The woman is pronounced guilty and then stoned. The film takes place in Iran in the 1980s.

Watching something like this made me both very sad and very angry. I see, over and over again, how certain cultures oppress women and treat them as worthless. I see how Satan uses people to ruin the lives of innocent women and children, then stands back and laughs. I see how terrified the woman caught in adultery must have been, and how relieved she must have been when Jesus said He did not condemn her and no stones were thrown.

As ever, I feel helpless. How can we, who live in such an affluent and influential country, make a tangible difference? I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. It is so sad to think how many women and girls are treated. The sex slave trade has more slaves now than there were during the civil war. What can we do? People are so cruel and evil, I too feel hopeless.

    Maybe by bringing awareness and supporting ministries and non-profits who are fighting the oppression and violence against women. ADRA actually has a program called End It Now to do just that.

    Sick world we live in today. It is hard to raise a daughter in the world we live in. I imagine it will only get worse.

    ReplyDelete

Share a thought or two. . .