Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Education Doesn't Come Easy or Cheap

Today has been rather uneventful. Thanks to Vladimir, I got a copy of the campmeeting schedule so I was able to go to vespers last night and then Sabbath services today with my roommate, Joan, who is currently taking a nap (and I'm very tempted to take one too!). During the sermon I had all kinds of interesting thoughts floating through my mind to blog about, but now they've all flown to the wind.

For Sabbath School the SNEC did a feature on Adventist Education and it was excellent. They focused on how their schools are heavily involved in ministry to their community, actively involved in missions to other countries, and energetically involved in helping every child develop a personal relationship with Jesus. After being in an environment where it appears that we are the only ones who have the true picture and blueprint of education, (except for other self-supporting schools, of course) it is refreshing to come to a mainstream conference that is pushing for values in education that will develop active young leaders in the community. I was happy to see that we aren't the only ones and wished that others could have been there to hear the presentation. It is all too easy to stay on top of our self-appointed high and holy hill, looking down in disdain at those "beneath" us, when in reality, they may not only know what we know, but they may be several steps ahead also.

Karl Haffner, the weekend's speaker, presented a sermon that got me thinking. He asked the question, "how does one recognize an Adventist?" which is a legitimate query. The answer he proposed was simple: those who love others are true Adventists. He gave five steps, including telling the other person, showing it through actions, writing it down, and two more I can't remember right now, and concluded by saying, Live Life with Love. I wish that simple concept was preached more from the pulpit and practised more in our lives. As I look on my current surroundings, and remember the past 10+ years that I have experienced in what some term as a "commune" I realize that if there had been more love and less rules, it could have been different. I'm not saying we should go all out and opt for "love only, we are all saved by grace," letting it all hang out and throwing standards and principles to the wind. There is a balance to be held, after all. What I am saying is that there isn't enough love out there. We're afraid to love because we're afraid. Afraid we'll step over some invisible line, offend someone, be misunderstood. We're afraid we may actually get to know someone and discover who they really are inside and find something in common with them and love them even more. We're afraid that if we love others, we will become vulnerable and then we could get hurt or left behind. We're afraid to love because it is not culturally acceptable to love, unless it's our golden retriever, our mommy or veggie pizza.

The question begs to be asked: what then is true love? True love as defined by 1 Corinthians 13, as demonstrated in Jesus' life, and as required by those who profess to be Christians and followers of God, well it is amazing. It is freeing, sacred, and faithful. As Paul said, nothing counts but love. Not charity, not tongues, prophecy, faith, or martyrdom. Only love.

I'd like to take this thought and ponder it a little more. How can we, as conservative Bible-believing Christians, share true love with those we come in contact with? How will they be able to know, by our deeds, actions and words, that we are loving Adventists?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a thought or two. . .