Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Through the Sea

On my walk this morning, I saw a mother doe with her young fawn, still covered in spots but grown enough to jump and run about on its own. As I briskly marched along, I saw the mother almost beckon to her baby, to "come along now." They stopped for a nibble on some of the grasses and I passed them, intent on keeping my heart rate up and getting my miles in. I was doing a loop, and half way around, to my right I noticed that the mother and baby had crossed campus and were about to cut me off as they came through by the gazebo.

Suddenly, the baby darted out in front of her mother. I stopped and waited, and seconds later, she sprang out of the bushes not more than five feet away from me, saw me, got startled, and ran off as fast as she could. The mother slowly ambled out, still chewing on breakfast, and completely unperturbed. Perhaps she had decided I wasn't a threat.

As I watched the interaction of the mother and baby, I thought about how the baby decided it was going to run ahead on its own. When I passed the pair the first time, the mother stopped eating, her tail went up and she looked intently at me to make sure I wasn't going to harm her baby. The second time we met, the mother wasn't too concerned.

It sort of reminds me of how we do the same thing. We rush ahead, bent on a particular destination, certain we know what we are doing, and confident that we can manage on our own. But God is standing there, quietly watching, alert to any danger. He knows when it is time to step out and protect us, and when we can move forward and we will be safe.

One of my favourite verses says, "Your path led through the sea, Your way through the mighty waters, though Your footprints were not seen." ~ Psalm 77:19 I often wish that I could see and touch God. I am someone who needs to see the people who I am close to, to feel connected to them. I like to see the expressions on their faces, study their body language, hear the tones in their voices as they speak. Yet even though I can't see God with my eyes, I can still see Him with my heart. There are times He stands in the shadows. . .but I know that God is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a thought or two. . .