Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ahem, I think I forgot something

When I first started blogging, I was quite excited and faithfully posted some deep thought every day. Now I'm lucky if I can post once a week! The past week has been filled with adventures, so I shall simply write about my most recent one and save the rest for another time when I have hours of time to spare.

Yesterday I had my long-awaited for biometrics appointment. The official looking sheet of paper I had received from USCIS told me very clearly and in bold font to be sure to show up for my appointment on time, otherwise grave consequences would await me (they would reject my entire application). Being a first-born and someone who tries to everywhere at least 5 minutes early, I decided to play it extra safe and arrive an hour early.

Friday morning arrived, my work replacement flaked out on me so I had to rush about finding someone else to cover phones, and then someone who was supposed to call in for a meeting wasn't picking up their phone when I rang to put them on speakerphone and by the time everything was sorted out, I was about 7 minutes late getting out the door. I dashed over to my apartment, changed, checked to see that my hair looked just right, grabbed my purse and vital papers and the appointment letter, and ran down to my car. Seconds later, I was heading down the freeway towards my destination, about 15 minutes behind schedule but still with plenty of time to spare.

About 15 minutes later, I realized I needed to get gas, so I stopped at one of my favourite gas stations just off the freeway. After parking, I reached for my wallet. . .and realized it wasn't in my purse. I had taken everything else I needed, and some stuff I didn't need but just in case, and had left behind my wallet. With my money and driver's license in it.

In horror, I looked at the clock and then went into adrenaline mode. I had exactly 1 hour and 35 minutes before I had to be at my biometrics appointment. I was about 40 minutes away. I was faced with a dilemna. Should I go back home and get my wallet? I would still need to fill up on gas, so I was looking at about 1 hour and 20 minutes of time. That didn't give me much leeway in case there was traffic on the freeway or I made a wrong turn. I could carry on from where I was, but what if they asked for my license as ID? And anyhow, it wasn't right to knowingly drive without a driver's license on you, plus I would end up stranded alongside the freeway with no gas to make it back.

I decided to head back home. Ordinarily, the drive would take about 12 to 15 minutes. I kept my foot on the gas pedal and flew back, making it in 9 minutes. After grabbing my wallet, I decided to get gas at a more expensive station just 2 exits up the road, since it was closer and I figured there wouldn't be as many cars in line. My gamble paid off, I put $5 of gas in (just enough to get me to my appointment and to a cheaper gas station afterwards) and hit the freeway again.

I think I probably held my breath all the way there, but I made it. On time. Actually, I was 30 minutes early. I guess I didn't need to worry after all! I was in and out of my appointment in 12 minutes and headed back home.

I am so thankful that God impressed me to leave extra early that morning and not to leave an hour before my appointment. I am also thankful that He impressed me to stop and get gas only 15 minutes into my journey instead of 30 minutes, which I was considering. I am thankful there were no accidents on the freeway and that my little car got me safely there and back. And most of all, I'm thankful for the experience as it showed me very clearly that God was looking out for me. That is the neatest thing of all.

1 comment:

  1. 30 minutes early and you were so stressed? I had to laugh. You sound just like my husband :)


Share a thought or two. . .