Check out my other blog: Arugula Addict! I'll be writing about my journey to becoming a healthier person.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

"I'm Already There"

Went to the Airshow today and saw some really neat routines. The one that really brought tears to my eyes was the Missing Man Memorial, though, with the three P-38's. They flew low and slow over the crowd, the thousands of people standing silent, remembering, as the formation, with a large gap between the first two planes and the last, memorialized those who gave their lives on September 11, 2001.

It's been 9 years and yet, each year, when the day comes around, I take a few moments to reflect, to feel sad for those who died and those families who lost someone very dear to them. This is not my country and yet human suffering bonds us in ways that overlook borders and boundaries.

I'm not sure why it is so important for me to remember. I do know that I was angry that no one remembered at church, that I had to go to a secular gathering for others to mourn with me and recognize the loss of precious life. Maybe I refuse to let the memory be forgotten because it is one of the few memories I still grieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a thought or two. . .